On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, September 14, 2012

New Name for Hero of Heart Fortune


Naming Characters: I kept writing Race, Race, Race...then I'd have a scene with Raz Elecampane (yes, he took the name Elecampane, though he still acts under the name of Raz Cherry).

Two letters at the beginning of a one syllable word.

I'd already approved the back cover copy.

Finally, I broke down and asked editor if it was too late to change the name. We agreed on Trace rather than Case (I like the sound).

But Race didn't like Trace, he felt marginalized (heh!), he is NOT a "trace" of anything.

He liked Jace, like Jason and the argonauts.

So, hopefully the back cover copy will reflect the book, and Jace.

And that's been my trauma for the week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robin, I just wanted to mention that Jace is also the hero's name of Cassandra Clare's popular Mortal Instruments series. The first book is just being made into a movie and will be in cinemas in August 2013, probably the same time Heart Fortune will be released. I don't know if it bothers you, but I thought to tell you just in case it might be a problem for you.
Love your books by the way!

evenstar

3:28 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I am okay with this. Not sure how much of a crossover there will be, but there's only so many times I can ask my editor to change his name.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Jace is a nice name. :o)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]