On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Naming Day

I spent HOURS figuring out names for some secondary characters of Heart Fortune, a rival of my hero, Race Bayrum, and his recently ex-lover. Urgh.

I wound my way through Culpeper's Color Herbal, Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, the scientific website I use for naming, and A Druid's Herbal.

I had very specific ideas in mind for the names, of course they had to be plant-based, and not too spoilerish (I don't like giving away my villains too often by a nasty name).

So falling by the wayside were Hirtel Something, Scratchdaisy (don't you love it?) Calamas Rattan, Calamas Serge (I didn't know about the Walt Whitman poems), Yanth Buckbean, Ari Penstemon, Jope Purpurem, and Stiffleaf (I kid you not, someday I will HAVE to have a Stiffleaf). Anyway, may you be amused rather than frustrated with any snags.

Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered using Owen for someone (not necessarily a villian)? According to one site:
Origin: Gaelic
Meaning: Well born, yew born

6:59 AM  
Blogger This Blonde's Life said...

While not an herb or flower I always thought my name would be a great book character! :D I love how you name them all and I am sure you will come up w/ something clever!

7:20 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks! I really hate when names slow me down....like I said, I can spend hours on them.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]