On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Opening with too many characters

I am working on Glyssa Licorice's book, the public librarian, and best friend of Camellia Darjeeling D'Hawthorn, heroine of Heart Search. And I like the second scene (all right, I really opened with the hero). BUT, I think that if you forget who is who, or have never seen the series, I have too many people on stage. There's Glyssa at dinner with Laev T'Hawthorn and Camellia, and the women's other friend, Tiana.

THEN I move to the starship the next day and there are all of the above PLUS the intelligent ship, Nuada's Sword, and Dani Eve Elder. Who are watching a video showing the hero and mentioning three other people. That is Way Too Much.

I DO need the 3, Glyssa, Laev, and Camellia in the first scene, and though it pains me to cut interaction with her friends, I'm going to do it. Then, in scene three, there will only be Glyssa at first, then Laev and Dani Eve Elder (daughter of the Captain of the Ship) will come in. So rewriting already.

I know who all these people are and can picture them, but I've picked up middle-of-series books by other writers and been confused. I don't want that.

And thanks for letting me ramble. May you not need to rework anything today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger azteclady said...

This is very, very wise.

I love this universe and know who all they are, but like you, it's very disconcerting to have the entire family tree (or the series' Dramatis Personae) parade through the book.

And, while this surely is not the intent, as a reader I feel two things: one, the main story becomes dilute with too much catching up (i.e., the author tends to explain who each new/old character is with, "as you now, Bob..."). Two, that too much of what those other characters bring to the current story is actually unnecessary (i.e., using Celta, that the author could have said, "the premiere jeweler of Celta" rather than introducing Ash and Danith and their whole backstory)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

You can do it. I have faith in your talent and your connection with your characters.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see the too much catching up would make the series seem choppy. The desire to know the back story can encourage readers to buy earlier books in the series which is why hinting can be best. I love the new stories not because they are a continuation of the old but because they are a part of the whole fabric. Keep up the great work, I love your stories and the world. It is so rare to have books that are romances both interesting, passionate, and spirtual.

8:00 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I don't really catch up much. If I need a character, they walk onstage, if not, they stay off. Though, I've always liked a lot of characters onstage. It's a failing.

Robin

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]