On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Two gold covers this year! (and art notes)

Luna gave me a gold cover with Enchanted Again.

And Berkley gave me this awesome hunk cover for Heart Secret! Below find the notes I sent to the art department...more about how the cover influenced the story later!)

Photobucket

I love both of them!

And here are the art notes for Heart Secret...as you can tell, I talk to the art dept. pretty much like I talk to you. :)

Tatts: If you are doing tatts: any kind of Celtic knot, or a heart shaped Celtic knot, or maybe a chain of hearts and daggers? Or a heart and a tear?

Weapons: If you are doing weapons, a long dagger and a long sword, or a long dagger and a blazer/blaser (stream of blue light?). Or an exotic knife (an exotic knife can be used in the murder), this would be shorter and must have a point, but let me know the size/shape so I can write it in.

Time of Year: Summer, heat with occasional rain showers

Settings:

1) Secret walled garden – day or night with a glowing turquoise pool and steam rising?

Hero: Garrett Primross, private eye, middle class. Has some feral animals (mostly cats) as informants. Has a leopard spotted KITTEN. Brown-blond hair, brown eyes, muscular, big.

BACKSTORY: Garrett was the sole survivor of the most virulent form of a disease that killed the woman he loved and her baby (not his child), as he was transporting them in a bus-all-terrain vehicle from a clinic to a quarantine area in the mountains. He is becoming known as a private investigator and his business is beginning to pick up. See general pics.

Oh, also, Garrett is a master at slight-of -hand, rolling a coin across his knuckles & making it appear and disappear.
*********

Hope you enjoy!

Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Betty Hanawa said...

Gorgeous. And while I realize art depts still aim to bookshelves at brick & mortars, these covers really pop on the computer screen and definitely will catch the eye of the ebook purchaser.

Just got the new Nook with Glow Screen yesterday. Love it!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Gina G said...

Wowza!
Seriously, sexy cover art.
Warrior PI - he more than lives up to the Garrett I read about in the Heart Secret ARC.

12:13 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks! Betty, congrats on the new purchase. Yes, I've been researching covers and cover art for a project I'm thinking of epubbing.

And I like this nearly as much as Heart Change. ;)

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]