On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Story Threads...

I recently read Patricia Briggs' new novel, Fair Game, and saw a couple of things and figured, "this is a story thread, I wonder what she'll do with it in the future?"

And, yesterday, a writing buddy commented that she couldn't cut the seemingly excess object because it was a set up for a future book.

So, yes, I do set up books in the future, and sometimes I add bits that may be a little extraneous at the time. That doesn't mean that every detail I add is a set up, or that I remember them all, or that when I get to the books, the set up entirely works and I have to finesse around it -- since I'm a pantzer, writing by the seat of my pants.

I think the last big set up scene (which also worked withing Heart Search), was the Salvage Ball, as I'm sure most of you noted. And yes, there was a pretty big thread in the novella Noble Heart...and in upcoming Heart Secret, I have a stray Fam who will be a major Fam in another book.

So, naturally, when I see stuff in others' works, I wonder about it, and it makes me smile.

Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again,
Robin

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

April 2 today, and your last post was 20March.
Hope all is ok with you & your loved ones, and we will get frequent posts again.
Bet I am not alone in missing you!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]