On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Restrictions that make your work better

Restrictions that make your work better: Some while ago I had to send in info of what I'd like on the cover of Enchanted Ever After, and I said I wanted a mermaid on a log or a rock in Maroon Lake, under the famous Maroon Bells, in the fall.

Well, it came to revising the scene in the lake, adding detail (which I usually mark as ** RESEARCH), and I was appalled to find out that it was only 9' deep. Not very deep for a mountain lake, or for my new human-geek-girl-turned-mermaid. But the more I researched the details, the more I felt that I could make this work better than the original scene. I wanted Maroon Lake for the scenery, and the depth was disappointing as opposed to, say, Snowmass Lake...but...but...maybe a shallower lake would be better for my new mermaid/naiad.

And it being shallow and popular -- well, she'd have to learn how to do illusions better to hide from humans, too, wouldn't she? Which I hadn't described before (and I'm quite happy with that paragraph). And it might be more accessible than other mountain lakes in early October. Not to mention that, unlike some mountain lakes in the area, Maroon Lake is stocked with Lake Trout. That turned out to be important. From what I researched, Lake Trout can live for decades and can get as large as 102 lbs. Just perfect for what I wanted in this scene.

And the Maroon Bells area has some beautiful pink crystals...

Yes, about 3 hours of research for a few paragraphs to enrich the setting, but I am very pleased.

May your work please you today.

Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger azteclady said...

I love how your brain works!

(Thank you for sharing this--helps me remember to look for that silver lining)

7:37 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]