On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Current Research -- Domesticated Foxes

Yes, I've read research books about foxes, but I also wanted to know if any have been domesticated. There has been a Russian/Siberian breeding program (see above).

I think I still prefer fantasy fox Fams. ;)

May you enjoy any research you do.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Rin said...

How interesting they're being bred as pets in your link. I'd heard of one study that bred (I think) tamer foxes so that they would be easier to farm for coats. Funny thing is that in doing so, the foxes developed some physical characteristics found in dogs. Sorry, you totally made me nerd out for a moment!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Laurel N said...

I think the idea is better than the reality, but they certainly would be beautiful companions. I really love the fox fams and hope to hear more about them.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Silver Phoenix said...

I just read an article on Yahoo that foxes were domesticated as pets before dogs, but once people got the hang of dogs (who were easier to keep as pets), foxes went out of style, so to speak.

Supposedly, there were even graves where people were buried with their pet foxes. Awww.

Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110204/sc_livescience/prehistoriccemeteryrevealsmanandfoxwerepals

1:46 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Woah, been a while, but thanks for the link, I saved it!
Robin

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]