On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, July 23, 2010

Synopsis -- "Complications Ensue"

So, you have the beginning of your synopsis, proposal, outline...and you have the ending. And you know stuff will happen in the middle "complications ensue," or "tension increases with more threats." These phrases work if you're published (and sometimes if you're unpublished and writing a short synopsis and the book is Not Done).

They are great unless/until you look at your synopsis for guidance. Then, of course, it's WHAT DID I MEAN? Or, uh-oh.

Most of the time, since I'm a pantzer, such phrases don't bother me. Occasionally I DO check to see if I need to be hitting something that I told my editor would happen, or DO want some guidance...and it's not there.

So, like many writing techniques, this can backfire on you. Just be aware.

May you know where you're going today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]