On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, July 17, 2010

RMFW, Contest Critiques in general

First, I will say nothing to tell you who/what I am judging and critiquing in the RMFW contest.

I WILL say that the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers' contest is excellent if you want a feedback on your first twenty pages and synopsis. It starts June 1 of every year and, unlike many groups, includes multiple genres like sf/f, mainstream, action/adventure.

I do the contest for a couple of reasons -- if I don't get on as a speaker, then I like the credits that apply to conference membership. Also, like I've said before, RMFW taught me how to write, and I like to give back. The last couple of years my deadlines have been at the wrong time to really contribute.

I did quite a bit of judging this year, most were average, two were outstanding and one was intriguing.

In any event, I spend HOURS on the critiques. I am not joking. Each read and critique takes me anywhere from 2-4 hours. So I am moaning a bit about that because *I* did not budget my time well.

So it's good value for the money. Mark it down for next year. Also, the finalists go to editors and agents attending the conference, and have a preferred pitch session with them.

May you budget your own time well today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger N. R. Williams said...

Good post Robin. I won't be able to go to conference this year. I miss getting together with everyone. To any readers out there, I would like to add that the conference provides a pitch session for everyone who signs up. Every pitch I have done has generated a request to see my manuscript.

I look forward to reading your latest book.

Nancy
http://nrwilliams.blogspot.com/

8:20 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Nancy. And no, I didn't list the contest right before it closed, because we've had a Cursed Website, for the last few years. We would hire to revise, and folks would vanish....maybe even into cyberspace.

Robin

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]