On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, July 16, 2010

On Scenes and Setup

Throughout Heart Search I have my heroine, Camellia, dreading going to the sentient starship, Nuada's Sword, because she has a secret she thinks it will winkle out of her. (That's a phrase from my Mom). I've mentioned this at least three times in anywhere from a line to a paragraph.

I'm feeling dissatisfied with the manuscript and thinking of cutting scenes, most particularly scenes where the hero and heroine aren't together, this is, after all, a romance. One of the scenes I was irritated at taking too long yesterday was Camellia at the starship (where she deftly distracts it).

But that is not a scene I can cut, or "tell" (such as this following paragraph: "Camellia and her friends went to the starship and she deftly distracted it from fulfilling its curiosity about her." That lets a reader down. Even if s/he doesn't realize why they are dissatisfied, it's because the follow through is not worthy of the set up.

I read a historical a couple years back where the hero and heroine were arguing and kissing and the door opened -- they would be caught in a compromising position...and the author skipped to the next day.

This was one of the vital scenes of the book and it wasn't on the page.

And, of course, I learned this from experience -- when I skipped over a vital argument between Trif Clover and Ilex Winterberry, and mentor called me on it. "You MUST write the scene." Yes. I must and I did.

So other scenes may go, but this one will stay.

May you enjoy the fullness of stories today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Ang from Oz said...

Its nice to have insight into a authors mind sometimes, you know "us" readers would never know that you agonise over such things to bring us the fabulous stories that you do. Looking forward to Heart Journey and the trip back to Celta. Its been way to long! Best Wishes to you!

3:52 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Ang. Let me tell you, writers talk about stuff like this all the time. Think about it. Try to refine their skills...like anyone with a job.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]