On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Do As I Say, Not As I Do, and a Writing Day

Attended in-person critique again yesterday and had pointed out that, yes, two months in a row, in two different stories, I had misplaced (i.e. not included) a scene goal up front.

Also, motivation was off, so I have to work on that. The problem with the motivation (hero goes from happy to angry in about 4 pages) is that this is the second time I've worked on that motivation and had hoped I fixed it. This particular story opening has been rewritten about 3 times.

I can't SEE this story fresh, which makes it difficult to judge if I get stuff right.

This is what happens as a pantzer. The piece is ok, but it will be better when I clean it up, and that should only take, oh, about half a day (for 11 pages).

So. My goal is 800 words a day on Heart Search, and 507 words a day on one of the stories in the collection. Starting today. The new writing MIGHT take me 3 hours, if I am lucky and fall into the zone.

As I said, the clean up of the old, takes quite a while.

One of things I have done, to help my pantzerness, is to put "Scene Goal" up on my monitor on a sticky note. I am not a "sticky-note-on-the-monitor" kind of person, so it WILL stand out. In fact, I don't think I've ever put a sticky note on this monitor.

And one of the things I like about Windows 7 is that it has a sticky-note program, so that should work on the new laptop, too.

Now off to organize my paper bin (I collect nice colored papers for collages for my engagement/journal calendar and my Morning Pages -- Artist's Way -- when I do them).

That should give me a little time to think about the setting of Heart Search, which had flummoxed me yesterday, Saturday, when I worked before critique.

May you enjoy the odd and lovely touches of beauty that come into your day...
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger N. R. Williams said...

I do understand about those sticky notes and critique catches. Sometimes you feel like you can never get that particular challenge fixed in you brain.

At the moment I'm going through my manuscript with a fine tooth comb because I discovered in my effort to make it cleaner I got rid of too much emotion.

So the poor reader might say, "Why on earth did s/he do that?"

Sounds like a lot of words everyday. Good luck,
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

7:11 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Nancy, and best of luck on your ms.!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]