On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, April 26, 2010

Backstory

The "rule" for backstory is just enough to explain what's going on. I failed that in my short story (current title HeartMate Love). I felt the paragraph of backstory was dragged too long and cut it...and got confusion. So I'm rewriting the beginning and hoping I'll have enough hooks to keep you going until the hero walks in the door.

This is an older couple story with Arbusca Willow, the mother of the hero in Heart Dance, and the setting is a year and 3 mos later. Since she is a housekeeper (actually the glue that held the Family together in hard times), I've made her guy a fire mage and demolition expert.

May your work flow for you today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Oh I want to read this story so badly! Is this for an anthology, and when is it due to be published?

10:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle Rudeau said...

Yay! This'll be a good story too! I can't wait! :D

7:15 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

I like your rule. I was critiquing a ms over the weekend and it had a chapter long back-story. I told her to cut it down to one paragraph.

Yup, I met she just loved hearing that.

Janice~

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]