On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Critique

Critique group is today and I only have six pages of Out of Balance because I've been trashing/rearranging chapter 2. When I revised the synopsis of the proposal Timeshifter --> Out of Balance, I didn't revise the pages. Chapter 1 only had a few tweakings, but chapter two needs work.

This will be the first time in years that I don't have a full 10 pages (or more).

What I really wanted to talk about was critiquing. I've been thinking about a friend's story that I read a couple of months ago and wondering what changes she made. I'd like to know, though I'll read the book when it comes out.

I find critiquing on the computer harder than on hard copy. I have to mess with fonts and colors and stuff. Also it's hard on my eyes, and I'm not sure I catch everything that I should.

Sometimes I get so tired of looking at the computer that the actual story doesn't make much sense. So I usually leave the critique and think of it (or let it simmer) for a while.

I don't believe I'm the only writer who does this, especially if something bothers me about a story that I can't quite pinpoint. So I will put in hours on a critique...

Today we do it off the cuff, but if I think of something later, I will send them an email or call.

Writers care about each other.

May you enjoy your social time today.
Robin

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Peggy said...

I totally understand about the computer thing. Just today I asked the hubby to print out 50K of the MIP (single-spaced and double-sided) so that I can re-read it to refresh my memory of all the details that have gone before.

Could I do it onscreen? Sure. But my eyes get tired, and then I get tired, and then I miss stuff.

And in my experience, crits are best when they've had time to simmer a bit, or when you know the other person's project intimately and can respond with some depth even off the cuff. It sounds like you've got the latter with your group (or at least the potential for it), and that's a wonderful thing.

6:04 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Exactly, Peggy. The eyes get tired...and seeing it on paper is different than on a screen.

Take care,
Robin

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]