On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Five levels of why

Just got in from critique group and to talk about my work, it was obvious that I needed to explain scry "technology." We are up to Chapter 4 in monthly critique (and I am coming to the end of the book), so that's why I love my beta readers.

And we did five levels of "why" motivation with someone who wanted plotting help.

What does the heroine want?
To fit in with her new school.
Why?
Because she didn't fit in at her old school.
Why?
Because her clothes weren't right.
Why?
Because her Dad was a single Dad and never got her the right clothes, never wore the right clothes.
Why?
Because her mother left them, and if you wear the right clothes, mother (and other people) won't leave you...

Not sure that made sense...but you can get the general gist. The bottom layer is usually fear, an overwhelming fear that will drive the character on a path until they face it and grow beyond it.

Brain is fried and my head aches from the heat, so if you need more explanation let me know.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss K said...

Robin this is great advice. Thank you for sharing! I'm a writer at the beginning stages of my second novel so this is very helpful. Would you mind if I share this exercise on my blog this week? I'll link back to you of course!

4:49 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Sure, but I'm not sure who the original credit might go to. Janet Lane, Peggy Waide are also critique buddies who use this.

Robin

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]