On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Critiquing Others

I think I've spoken quite a few times about what happens in critique, and at the last few conferences we have had a panel on that, but there several things that are important.

Be supportive, even if you don't like the work, be supportive of the writer. THEY like the work or they wouldn't be writing it, something about the story is important to them.

Remember it is not your story (started a metaphor that ran away with me so I deleted it). So whether you like the people in it or the way it is going, that's not your call. Do not try and persuade someone that your idea of the story is better.

Quid pro quo, they critique you, you critique them.

The most important part of critique is not exclamation points or commas, it's the characters' motivation.

Be supportive.

That's all for now.

Take care and enjoy whatever praise comes to you today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

:-)
So very true.
When I crit, I don't tell, I ask.
Why?
What?
When?
Could you explain?
If he was this, why do you have him do that?
It gets the writer thinking.
The writer explains and I perhaps refer to another part and, from a reader's POV, how I interpreted it and then ask if that was the message she thought would come across.

I just got word five days ago that the story I helped her with was accepted by the publisher.

That's a 'squeeee!' feeling if there ever was one.
:-)

5:36 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

WONDERFUL Michele! Congrats to her and you.

Robin

8:19 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

I get asked ever so ofter to do a critique. I dread them. I am so afraid of hurting the writer's feelings. And I am a rather blunt person even through I don't mean to be.

Or worse yet they defend what they wrote like I just simply didn't understand.

I feel like tell them ya know you can't follow you ms around and explain why your guy has blue eyes in chapter one and green eyes in chapter three. It has to stand on its own merits.

Janice~

8:53 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

We don't really accept "defending" the work. If we ask for explanations, then that's ok.

But defense...no.

I have accepted that what is in my head doesn't always make it clearly to the page.

Robin

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]