On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Setting Deadlines

Deadlines MAY be in your control. Most of the time your editor will ask you when you want to deliver the book. Right now, I have a year in-between my Heart books, and have done the same with my Luna books. My Heart books are due in December and the Luna books are due in April. I did that because I didn't want a lot of pressure on me, and felt that was a schedule I could keep, even if everything went bad.

And the way this will work is that I am trying very hard to turn in the next Heart manuscript, Heart Journey, early. I am hoping to get it in at the end of September, all the more time to write the first book in a new world that Out of Balance will take place in. It's contemporary US, but urban fantasy, soooo that needs to be set up and I'm still figuring out what's what.

Sometimes, when renewing a contract, deadlines might not be under your control. For whatever reason, the publisher has a schedule they will insist you keep. At that point you pretty much have the option of accepting a deadline that will stress you or walking away from the deal.

So think about this before you sell, because at the point you're negotiating you need to know your decision.

May you have all the time you want today to do what you want.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

That's very good advice but I have a question isn't that a finished manuscipt every six months? And isn't hard to keep up?

Janice~

10:21 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

It is hard to keep up, but I think for a real career to take off I should be putting 3 books out a year. I'm still not there, mostly because I am still writing long books.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Alessa Ellefson said...

Wow, really? You should be putting out 3 books a year if you want to be a career novelist? o.O I had no idea! No wonder deadlines are crucial then :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I revisited this and I think I will say that if you want to be a romance novelist, putting three books out a year will help you.

Robin

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]