On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, December 28, 2008

All Girls Do...Characters, Characteristics

Photobucket
So I was talking with my single friend and massage therapist and made some comment about dancing, and she asked if I danced around the house and I said yes. Of course. She said she did too and had thought she was strange and unusual until a week ago one of her other clients mentioned dancing around the house when her husband was gone on a trip and she really rocked out.

Then my friend spoke to her sister, a yoga instructor, and the sister said that ALL women dance around the house.

Well, I hadn't really thought about this, but I guess in the back of my mind I figured that a good chunk of the female population probably danced around.

So, do you dance around the house when you're alone?

And speaking of dancing, I have rediscovered Pandora radio and a few new artists and was boogieing in from the kitchen to the dining room to one of those new-to-me selections when I got interested in why they chose the song for me.

And it said: Based on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because it features danceable beats, straight drum beats, a smooth female vocal, a laid back female vocal and ambiguous lyrics. Huh.

I WAS aware that I was choosing more female vocals than male (and I rarely listen to vocals because they are distracting if I can understand the words). And the "danceable beats" reminded me that I wanted to write this post and get some feedback about whether all girls do dance around the house.

And, you know, there's nothing like those ambiguous lyrics.

May you enjoy the dance of life today.
Robin

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Pinky P said...

Heck, yeah! I love to dance by myself. Though I used to have a cat who I danced with alot. He put up with being held in my arms or even let me hold his front paws so he could dance on his back ones with me.

My new cats just watch me as though I'm crazy ;)

And, I always seemed to have alot more fun dancing (fast) with a group of girlfriends than with a guy in my dancing days. You weren't trying to impress anyone; just having a good time--while the guys watched from the sidelines, nursing their beers abd trying to get up the guts to come and talk to you... ah, the memories!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Danica Favorite said...

I like to dance by myself too. :)

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dance all the time. When they were younger I'd dance around swinging my sons, now they put on music and dance with me. I dance with my cat who graciously tolerates it, my dog who thinks it's fun, my ferrets who must think I'm insane and even the broom and mop while I'm cleaning.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Francesca Hawley said...

I like to dance too but I almost always choose male vocals to dance to and to write to. Not sure why, but I do. Maybe I'm an anomoly.
:-)

12:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle Rudeau said...

I love to dance around the house! It's my biggest stress reliever. Usually the music reflects my mood.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I dance around the house when I'm happy/busy.

9:53 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks all! I figured that!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Athene said...

My cat actually used to dance with me (a little background, I used to want to be a ballerina until I was around eighteen so I was always practicing in the wood living room where we had the most space and the best sort of floor for dancing). I would jump and leap across the "dance" floor (living room) and she would "dance" (really leap at my feet and run across the floor at a right angle to me from the rocking chair to the hidden side of the lamp table).

Now (I no longer live with my parents) I put on music when I'm cleaning house or something. Not a good as I once was but still enjoy it.

As for the mom who used to dance with their boys and still does, I applaud you because it probably has helped to encourage the confidence in their movements which I always looked for in men (and never found except in my brother who took dance with me as a kid).

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]