On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Abandoned Projects

On the way home from our last critique group we talked about my "cave" books. P. asked what had happened to the proposal, C. said she didn't recall the "cave" books proposal. I replied that I could never get the first chapter to work. The prologue, fine, when the heroines were all children, but I kept cramming too much into the first chapter, then changed it five times and it still didn't work.

I couldn't seem to get the set up right.

That happens. It was one of those concepts my group loved but that I couldn't make work (since this is also a problem with the urban fantasy, but I think it's fixable, it brought up the whole matter of abandoned projects).

Yes, about 3 out of 5 times I nail the opening, the other two times I fumble and sometimes I can clear my mind of the clutter and fix it and sometimes I can't. I've moved on from the cave books, though I still like the overarching concept and the 6 heroines.

But by this time I've learned to put the proposals that don't work away and move onto something that flows easier and I like just as well.

May you enjoy your work and do it well today.
Robin

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have better luck next spring/summer/fall/winter ...whenever. Sometimes you just have to let the kids (and the stories) sit in time out and think about things. ;)

4:33 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Valerie. My agent actually wanted this in mid-December, but I need to get things settled in my head now.

Robin

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]