On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Stopping In The Middle Of A Scene

I did this yesterday, I knew I could go on, but I stopped. I think it was because I knew I could make my wordcount today if I stopped, but if I wrote until the scene(s) were finished I might get stuck.

So, not sure what advice to give, except do what makes sense to you.

May your day be pleasant.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

I've seen blurbs you've done for other books...

Does your publishing company ask you to do these, or the books author?

Do you find something nice to say about each one you review? Do you actually read them?

I wonder because I've come across a blurb on a book that I think is horrible, and find it hard to believe you enjoyed the book.

What do you do when asked to review a book and hate it?

11:32 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ok, I've done blurbs as requested by the author, friends, my publisher, and my agent.

I DO read the book (or once I was only given a few chapters to read and though I requested more was not given them), and I DO try and find something positive to say about it.

I haven't reached the point where I feel I can say "I'm sorry I'm too busy" or whatever if someone asks. I'm still a soft touch.

This also comes in under the "networking" part of the business. I might be able to say no to my friends, but not a friend of a NY Times selling author, or my publisher or agent.

I also don't think that my name carries that much weight...I do know of people who have given a very long quote and said it can't be cut. Or I've heard you can always say something like "If you're a reader who enjoys the marriage of convenience story set in the old west, you will like...."

And there HAVE been books that I've liked doing this.

On the whole, I believe a story and a writer is unique and there is something for exploring a different idea or wording.

Feel free to email me with specifics.

Robin

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]