On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Unpublished Work -- Pitch for The Token

I think I've spoken of this before, but I had three full manuscripts finished before I sold my fourth, HeartMate. This came up in the chat, there were some questions about my unpublished work.

Well I was working as a paralegal then (as I did for many years), and my friends at the office were very supportive. One of them insisted that I print out my book (written before I had hooked up with ANY writing/critique group), so I have a bound copy of my first book.

On the whole it is terrible, I recall, wandering POV, little conflict between the hero and heroine, though it was a contemporary, it reads more like a historical, weak plot...poor hero motivation...

But I thought I still had the pitch, and I do:

The Token is a contemporary romantic suspense with paranormal elements; a story of an inheritance and a curse. There is a hidden fortune, murderous traps, a sentient house, and a threatening killer. Both the hero and heroine embark on quests to break the curse. The hero also must overcome his disillusionment with love, and the heroine must convince her new family to accept her, as she accepts and adapts to a new life, and a new love.

May you look back on your past and smile.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

It appears you have an ongoing love affair with sentient houses. :-)

I'm way too chicken to re-read anything I wrote when I first started. A few of the IDEAS I've sold since then, but had to scrap all the original writing and start over. Which is probably for the best since it would certainly be--to put it mildly--bad.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Silver Phoenix said...

I think it sounds like a good idea, maybe you'll have to rewrite it.

and I thought that too--TQ?!?! In the embryonic stages?!?!? :-D

6:26 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, I'm not sure when the sentient house really occurred in my mind. I did start writing seriously after I bought my own home.

I don't think the story can really be saved, but I liked it once.

Robin

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]