On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Futuristic/Fantasy Soaps...

Chat went very well, I thought. If only the signing at Lone Tree is as successful! There were actually so many people there I had to use the slider on the right side of the screen to see them all (ok, only 2 or 3 more than that, but good for me, still).

So someone asked at the chat: Did Tinne ever tell his HeartMate he loved her?

And I answered (chat is quick, quick, quick, so answer asap): No, he knew she was his soul mate (HeartMate), but she was young and he was waiting to court her but while he was distracted by his mother's wounding in a street melee his HeartMate was married to someone else and later he married too.

And it struck me that this sounded a LOT like a soap. Really, the only soaps I ever watched were reruns of Dark Secrets (of course) and a few episodes of Knots Landing, I think it was called...

\|/
0.0

May any surprises you get from your work today be swell.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

I just noticed at the end of Heart Quest the preview for the next novel was titled Heart Match, but the book released was Heart Dance...

Why the change in titles?

8:17 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Heart Match was my title, and I still like it, but my editor didn't agree. She wanted a different title and since she awes me I didn't ask why. When I got into writing the manuscript I realized that Heart Dance would work, so I sent that to her as a title and she liked it.

I think it might have been too close to "HeartMate."

Robin

10:24 AM  
Blogger Silver Phoenix said...

Almost all romance novels have an element of soap opera to them--it's the heavy melodrama, I think. Then again, that's why I love them. I can't watch soaps because I have mild face blindness (it's not so bad I don't recognize family, but it can take up to a year before I'll recognize new people, and if they cut their hair or get braces, all bets are off) and can't keep names/faces straight, but I can handle it in books.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your chat went well.

Please store this question for future answering (could be a spoiler)...


Why was the disolution of the two marriages in Heart Fate treated so differently by the families?? One went through the lengthy process, the other was an easy statement of desire to witnesses.

4:30 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Sue, one was underage, with a person who was not considered an adult.

I think I showed another underage (but solid) marriage in Heart Dance.

Robin

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]