On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Fast note

I am down to 602 pages from 664. Whew. Coupla good bits cut, some awkwardness. The battle was messed up so I think I've got it together, but will revise. I haven't looked at the first 5 chapters yet. But the book is in good enough shape that I don't anticipate any copy edit problems, if I get a good editor. Two of my friends have gotten the copy editor from hell, so I know she's floating around out there, hired by my publisher.

This won't make it in on Monday because Denver is a hick town and has no Sunday overnight delivery. If I want something in by Monday I have to send it by Saturday at 5pm. Eeeeeeeeeeee. Berkley knows this so all my due dates are Tuesday with them.

The thing my mentor mentioned most (alliteration) in my first chapter was that everyone was smiling and they all meant something different. Obviously that technique did not work for her. Maybe I'll save it as an illustration for here, but I'll go back and fix. She mentioned using a twinkle in the eye. I've just been cutting smiling in the later pages.

Also, I need to set up the entire story better --- story goal -- so I'll do that later today.

Still have 100 pages to transcribe corrections to, but I think I've done the last big cuts. Pretty sure I can get down to 600 or less just by tightening. There are a couple of things I need to add in the battle/aftermath pages too. Out by 7pm tomorrow if the printer doesn't take 3 hours like it did last time. I have a new intake roller I can change if cleaning didn't work...

That's it, expected at brunch.

smooches, and may you have a lovely day, robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

Do you take a break once done or jump right into the next novel?

3:09 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, I usually take a break, but I'm completely out of contract, so I guess I'll try and whip something into shape by the end of the week.

Robin

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]