On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Risk

Talked to a friend of my who is starting her writing career about risk today. The fact is, I've been used to risk for many years in one way or another. You DO get used to risk. I just try not to think about the fact that sometimes I feel like that princess in the fairy tale who had to walk across a deadly chasm on a bridge the width of a hair.

Writing is one of the riskiest businesses going.

She said she was risk averse and though I've known her for quite a while I haven't known her deeply enough to understand what caused that.

So this will be brief. Don't quit your day job to write unless you get an offer that will support you for three years. I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

May you have a lovely day without any risk you don't want. ;)

Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Rowen said...

Then I am in serious trouble. ;-) I've been stressing the risk I recently took by giving up the day job. I definitely don't have three year's worth of money in the bank. But I leapt and I'm hoping the net will present itself. I am either feeling complete bliss about my decision or total panic. But I keep writing.

Besides, just because you make a life-changing decision like trying to write full-time, doesn't mean you can't go back to regular full-time work in the future... I think it's worth the risk, if only to say that I gave it my best shot. How many people can say that? :-)

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you Michelle Rowen. I have to admire the courage that women have to make that kind of jump.

Tine

8:35 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Michelle, GO FOR IT! You've already made the decision, you've already taken the risk, take your best shot.

I didn't have much of a net, either.

I completely support you.

Robin

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]