On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Pros" of Being a Full Time Writer

This is what I thought, BEFORE:

1) Sleeping in

The cat wakes me up at the same time and I am actually AT WORK IN MY OFFICE earlier. Or I get an idea and I am AT WORK IN MY OFFICE earlier.

2) No shoes

Shoes keep your feet warm. In fact, I now usually wear 2-3 pairs of socks AND shoes.

3) Write all day

Creating and writing is tiring, sometimes I have to think about stuff, and sometimes I have to let my subconscious figure something out. All takes up more time than actually getting words on the page.

4) No waiting on an irritating, clueless IT person to try and fix my computer.

I try many things and live with a balky computer, clueless myself.

5) No putting up with sports stories at work about which I could care less.

I am now without much conversation at all, let alone adult, and tend to ramble and babble when anyone calls. I field more telemarketing calls.

Five items seems like a long enough list...


Pros that remain pros:


Not having to stand out in the cold and snow and wait for a sometimes on time bus.

Not having to go out in cold weather at all.


Cons that remain cons:

Heating bill.

No air conditioning.

Think about your own list....

May you have a lovely day in all ways.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe getting out more will solve the conversation problem? I know I personally have a tendency to hermit (which is just as easy to do in an office full of people, don't kid yourself--it's more about connection than volume of people, since you can be lonely in a crowd or content in a closet with only one other person), so I have to consciously make an effort to be friendly and open at least one day a week. Or chop the day up and be open and friendly in chunks through the week (which takes far less energy.) Sometimes, I think I'd be better able to be friendly and connected if I flipped my day around--worked in my house most of the time, and was around people only two or three hours in the evening. Then I can devote more of my energy to connecting with them--if that makes any sense at all.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the lone woman and only person in the office where I work (besides the owner who's not here 1/2 the time) I keep sane talking periodically via Instant Messenger with friends and family. I'd be willing to add you to my list. We can commiserate on the similarities and differences between the weather in CO (you) and VT (me). ;)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and silly me, I forgot to wish you a happy valentine's day.

(picturing virtual yellow roses of friendship on your desk in thanks for doing such good work)

9:53 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Kaite, sounds like an excellent idea...I should go out. We have live music down the block every night.

Carpetsudsie **blushing here** the only tech thing that I don't too is IM...thanks for the virtual roses they are wonderful for a gray day!

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]