On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Heart Dance -- World Building -- Heart Fate

I worked 8 hours on the mmp page proofs of Heart Dance, then took a meditation break, then wrote my wordcount, then messing around with email and on the net, 3 1/2 more hours on Heart Dance.

Any copy edits/page proofs/print pages including rough draft printouts, I always try to blast through in 8-12 hour days. I DID go to Common Grounds, did not get one of the large, soft chairs with a table, and those WITH the large, soft chairs outlasted my puny effort of about an hour eyeing them and working, so back home.

As always, the read didn't go as fast as I wanted, and I have about fifty more pages to do, hope to do the rest today after brunch. I had planned on working on my wordcount before brunch but it's late and that probably won't happen, I'll sleep in.

Heart Dance: There were some minor choreography problems, one I finessed and left, the others I tried to fix. Some typos that I caught, but some will have slipped through, of course. Some bad word choices, "shuddered" twice in one line. I'm paying close attention to the timing of it, what day is what and how many have passed. It looks as if the whole book took place in three eightdays exactly.

Haven't run across the centimeters vs. inches thing yet, hope I would have noticed, I do need to recall how long the Ship is and put it in kilometers.

DID realize I've screwed up on my Passages (fever fugues to free psi power) timing. There are 3 Passages. In HeartMate it was said to be at ages 7, 17, and 20. Somehow over the books it's transmogrified to 7, 17, and 27. I've already set up that Passage can be very individual.

So I thought about it and I've come up with a brilliant explanation. :) Passage can also depend upon genetic makeup as to whether your ancestors were crew or in the cryonic tubes of the starships and/or which ship your ancestors arrived on.... :) (I did go back to my notes on the prequel novella I pitched and was rejected on -- Heart & Sword, since Elder, Ash, and Holly ancestors are involved).

Since I'm spending a lot of time with Passages in Heart Fate (in fact, that was my wordcount), I'll explain that there. I must admit that I reached a good stopping point in my wordcount and quit. I probably should have gone on, but I wanted to get back to Heart Dance, it was dark, and I wanted to leave a hook that I could easily get back into today.

So that was my Saturday.
May you have a good day today.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger Athene said...

I think the 7. 17, and 27 is a brilliant one to keep it at as they are all prime numbers and in many cultures the primes are considered sacred. In order to hide that difference I think saying that it can be individual is a good idea.

7:39 PM  
Blogger talia pente said...

I have always thought they were individual to the person. Perhaps because I have always assumed that Vinni T'Vine had already gone through his second. He is young physically, but such an old soul that I figured he was ahead of the curve on passages.

Interesting stuff.

talia

4:48 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Athene, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

Talia, Vinni is an exception to all rules. I think I stated once that he won't be going through Passages...

Robin

11:32 PM  
Blogger talia pente said...

Poor baby. Talk about a burden.

talia

6:15 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Actually, I think Vinni believes it's a blessing. He will probably be linked to his HeartMate, Avellana Hazel when she has hers...and they are NOT going to be nice...

Robin

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]