On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Dreams and Subplots

I dreamt I was getting married the first Friday of January. Friends and I were arranging the hall, when it was paid for ($40 deposit), they asked me about poems for the wedding....

Altogether weird. I didn't even know who I was marrying, or I was marrying him as part of a sting or something...and it wasn't December, but more like September...

Groggily, when I woke up (Mistral was talking and prodding at me, unlike most of the other cats I have she will rarely WALK on me when I am in bed, and she's a sit-next-to-you-not-on-you cat), I thought, "Maybe I should put a subplot of someone getting married into Heart Fate." That woke me up for sure. "I do NOT need another subplot in Heart Fate. I never need any more subplots in any of my books. I have had to strip subplots out of my books."

So, really, after I gave a passing thought to what poems I'd like for my wedding (I've given up on getting married so none spring to mind except Kahlil Gibran, and I think Cat Steven's "Morning Has Broken" would be a good song -- it's stuck with me from the memorial service I went to in October), I thought about writing and stories.

Then I did my general morning thought. When I wake up, usually the first thing I tell myself now is the day. "It is Tuesday." I lived so long by the work week, I have to do this or I'll be adrift all day.

So, I guess, the thing that I'm saying is that writers think about stories all the time. And second point, blogger thinks "dreamt" is misspelled. I can't use "leapt" anymore either, it always gets corrected (though I think I snuck it in to one of the Luna books), and "snuck" is misspelled, too.

Well, off to feed the cat and take the car in for servicing. Better turn off the tub, no time. But I don't think I'll be looking for poetry for my wedding today, and since I wasn't madly in love with whomever, that's just as well.

May you have a wonderful day.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need one of these:

http://www.dayclocks.com/

I've always thought it would be handy, particularly as I'm working two months ahead of the current date for most of the month (it's February right now, so I guess I'm almost three ahead).

7:40 AM  
Blogger Catie said...

I change "leapt" back to "leapt" when they change it to "leaped". :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Thanks you for answering that question! It bugs me to see leaped, kneeled, sneaked and other words. I shriek mentally LEAPT, KNELT and SNUCK! Why do the editors dumb us down?

10:20 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Kaite, how interesting. THANKS.

Go, Catie with a "C."

Fiberfanatic, it's not necessarily dumbing us down, I've heard the argument that the language is changing.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]