On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, June 15, 2007

The List v. Synopsis

Yes, of course I have a synopsis for every book. I sell on proposal now and synopses (which take me long, long, long) must be included with every proposal. Editors actually want to see how/where the story is going and an satisfying resolution.

I printed out the synopsis for Keepers of the Flame, ready to look at it. But I didn't, and probably won't until after the book is done and sent. Because things change and there may be WONDERFUL ideas in that synopsis, but by now, if they don't match the list, they won't fit.

This book can't match the synopsis anyway because it's including a thread which would have been book 2 of 3. Like the next book will have to include the rest of the thread. And I'm VERY pleased how I handled this. I think it works.

All the major turns of the synopsis, the story which was in my head, will be covered. Nothing that contradicts the back cover copy will be written.

And now a first line has come to me about one of my scenes, so I must be off.

May the end of your pet project be in sight today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

Can't wait to read it!

5:37 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you Serena...still writiing though.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]