On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, June 08, 2007

Hermitting or Support?

I've been staying close to my house since the sewer episode last week, going out only when I absolutely had to, barely talking to anyone -- though I did the chat and have handled my email. But still, here in the house.

Tonight I'm up because it was my turn once again to read at the evening RMFW Capitol Hill Critique Group, and I actually went out afterwards to drink at a bar -- had artichoke dip and diet cola.

The reading went well, though, as always I have things to fix -- motivation and backstory -- to drop into this scene, adding some description and details. The scene itself is pretty edgy, maybe too much so if I plan on making this a romance. We'll see.

But the getting out was good. It's very easy for introverted writers to hermit, and that should be in moderation, especially for those who live alone like me. Being around other writers who like my work was very liberating. And most of them hadn't heard some of the stories I usually tell of my writing journey, so I got to tell those, AND I got to whine.

So it was good.
May you find the right mixture of solitude and company today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin - you really should get out more. Even introverts need support and fellowship of like minds, if for no other reason than to fuel the mind and spirit. The next time I'm in Denver I'll be sure we meet up once again.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to my local RWA meeting tomorrow and I can't wait. As a extroverted writer I crave the company of these women because we have a history and because they are supportive, wild, and brilliant.

That need to connect with others is ingrained in everyone and the benefits can be ginormous.

teri

7:40 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, Vicky, in the week before the sewer was done I was everywhere. Had towel did travel -- my Mom's and my friends, and a Memorial Day Potlach, etc.

But occasionally I do like to hunker down.

Lovely dinner!
Robin

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]