On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Writing Animals -- Cuteness -- And Just Plain Wrong

I have been accused of writing too cute. I've been small all my life, so I know cute, and I try very hard not to be, especially when writing animals. Animal writing can go FAR into cute. I also don't care to have my animals doing not-particularly animal like things. Ok, the FAMS are telepathic, but I figure my Fams are MUTANTS, and continuing to mutate. I try and keep their natures' right.

Zanth will never have a HeartMate, cats don't have HeartMates and giving them some would be Too Cute.

That said, the following billboard is on one of my local corners, and other places in Denver, too, since it was discussed at the Creativity Weekend -- and I see it FOUR TIMES if I'm going/coming to my Mom's. Apparently a new shopping mall is opening and the big event is a "doggie wedding" with "dating" first!

To me, this is just WRONG, against nature and trying too hard to be cute. The marketer/event planner would not last two seconds in my employ.

BOW WOWS & WEDDING VOWS
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

May you fall into no easy traps with your writing today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just right on! Sometimes the writing about animals gets too cute.
You might find this website from Scotland interesting - Celtic pagan rigutal, an so on.. beltane.org plus the www before it.
Looking forward to your next book in July.

10:41 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks anon! Excellent site.

Robin

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]