On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Request About Phrase Usage

Feel free to be anon, but I'd like to know how often you reference time in your conversation or writing. "The here and now. In a couple of hours. Currently." Any phrase that has the passage of time or the past or future in it. Particulary in your fiction, writers.

May your day pass wonderfully.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

My story revolves around Valentine's Day/Cupid's Natal Celebration...so most of my phrasing is in relation to that. Or to lunch dates, dinner dates, etc. Like...I know this is last minute being Valentine's Day and all...but are you available for dinner tonight?

It all happens in 3 days.

Does that help at all?

moon

3:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

"Days melted into months" or something like it is what I use to fast-forward. I rewind using the characters' memories. I usually refer to a meal or position of the sun for right this minute.

6:48 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ok, I was also thinking about how often you used "time" in a phrase. I was definitely not clear!

A matter of time, high time, etc.

Robin

7:42 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

"Well, it's about time!" That is one I would use.

I say "high time" but I think of it as a more antiquated phrase, so I would only use that with an older character.

"Time of my/your life" I would use this rarely.

"Time's up!" I would use that because it short and shows impatience well.

"Ran out of time" is more an excuse, prolly use it only with a whiny youngster or a whiny adult with an immature attitude.

moon

8:18 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks. I'm very time conscious, always have been, and writing about it means the phrases come to mind a lot. Hmmm, wonder how often I use stuff like that when not writing about time...

Robin

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]