On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, December 04, 2006

Music and Mothers and Life

My emusic account renewed yesterday. It isn't much -- $9.95 for 40 tracks a month, but I wonder about keeping it in my budget and it always stays.

I have a load of music on my desktop (13 gig), mostly new age stuff (chants, chimes and bells) and I listen to it all day long. In my bedroom, I have a 50 disk player (need to change the disks).

I have folders with only music for Celta books (including all the soundtracks for the Heart Books, such as they are), and music for the Exotic Summoning series. Right now I'm listening to Miles Beyond by Suzanne Teng and Mystic Journey. I pick a few folders, set the random, and away I go.

Is there such a thing as too much music? Yes. Sometimes you (I) need silence, too. And I have subliminal stuff which has a cover of rain or brooks or wind...I've found that subliminals help when the negative critic is too loud or panic at deadlines squeeze the heart.

Music, though, can help me reach the zone where the words flow.

**Phone** Time to go. My Mom wants to meet me and give me embroidery thread she picked up in China (I used to embroider all the time and have decided to mend moth holes with thread and if the colors run, all the more interesting) and do some sort of outdoor holiday market in the most upscale part of Denver. At 11. I have real trouble "Just Saying No" to my mother, but she sounded so apologetic...and I zinged her a couple of times when she was nagging my niece at my nephew's birthday party...so I guess it's an unstated apology on both our parts...She makes up little stories, my mother, about her cat, stuffed animals, etc. I get whatever talent I have from her.

May music or mothers enhance your life and writing today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

I only have 2.91GB used for music .. so far. Chimes give me a headache after awhile..but my music would probably give you migraines, LOL
Queen, Oceania, Some Pakistani music, Zydeco, Welsh Sea chanties, bag pipes, 80's pop, Broadway musicals and some stuff from Papua New Guinea - I just don't do opera . **shudder**

Mom's are great in getting you to do things, aren't they? My mom has been giving me "lovely and hardly used" Christmans decorations. She's cleaning out her cellar ... and filling up mine. She's so proud of all her newly recovered room.
I'm looking with dismay at the lack in mine. LOL
But we love them.
**VBG**

8:35 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, Michele, I LOVE Zydeco and bag pipes. Must admit I don't have very many Welsh Sea chanties, but my absolute favorite tune is Oh, Waly, Waly which I mistook and put down as Over the Sea to Skye (which I like too) in Sorceress of Faith...

Robin

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]