On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Senses – Winter’s Here

The sky is powder gray with not-powder snow slanting down. The white stuff on the ground is pristine but for the slight indentations of feral cat feet, already filling in. The square rust-colored plastic container is more than half full of grainy but dry cat food.

No sun to gleam and glisten on the snow sheathed bare branches. Only the teasing scent of cold, of ice, of winter air. The scuff of my boots disturbs the white ground and adds sound to the morning landscape.

When I reach the bus stop I stand with two men, vague neighbors. I am early, but I could not settle back into the rich warmth of bed and sleep. We look at each other, but we don’t talk. The snick, slick, slither of falling snow hits my nylon hood. Not powder.

I do not trust this city sleet-snow. I do not taste it. My mouth remains minty from toothpaste. I am an over-civilized woman.

May you use all your senses in your writing today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen snow before. But your description helped me to imagine what it could look and sound like...

Snow is just one of those things that a picture cannot fully illustrate.

4:46 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Roslyn, I think the steppe dwellers of Russia have 50 or so different words to describe snow. When a culture deals with something on a day to day basis, they figure out minute gradiations.

First, snow is COLD. Cold on the feet, leaving cold kisses on the skin when it falls.

Sometimes it IS big powdery, wonderful flakes or clumps of snowflakes. This was just a little harder and icier and nastier.

Thanks,
Robin

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It creates Silence too.. and that is very beutiful.

4:16 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

YES! Anon., the street sounds outside my windows are muffled...

Robin

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]