On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Primary Concern for Authors (Don't Quit the Day Job)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I first announced that I was laid off last year on one of my loops and asked if they thought I could make a go of a writing career, the major discussion was about the cost of health insurance.

That topic cycles around every year on my writers' loops, mostly for those of us looking for reasonable plans. Full time writers are usually self-employed, and if single, like I am, aren't on anybody's insurance plan.

As a contractor I never had health insurance provided for me. I went without for a long time, about 7 years, then got "the feeling" that I wouldn't beat the odds for much more (I did have a very bad ankle sprain during that time that I had nothing done for).

I pay my own health insurance.

I did have some medical problems, most notably last year when I landed in the ER for a day because I picked up a virus which gave me vertigo. I never thought vertigo was a big deal. Before. When you can't walk 15 steps without throwing up, vertigo is a very big deal. An outbreak of whatever this virus was zinged around Denver last year. There were 3 of us in the ER that February day with it. I am still making monthly payments on my part of the bill, and I think the hearing in my right ear was damaged.

It's tough out there without health insurance, and that really IS a big question about quitting the day job (or quitting or transferring any job, I know).

So before you become a full time writer, this is definitely one aspect you MUST consider.

The above website is a contribution site set up for members of the writing community who need help, mostly those with health problems.

May no worries about health insurance darken your writing day today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

This is the biggest reason why people stay with jobs they don't like, even when they could make more money as an entrepreneur or consultant.

In addition to helping each other out, we should make reforming the health care system in this country a priority. It can't go on like this. Everyone is one pink slip away from a bankruptcy-inducing trip to the hospital.

7:18 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I try to stay apolitical, but it's difficult...

Robin

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]