On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 26, 2006

Life and Goals

I had an idea for the blog this morning, then turned myself to feeding the cats, opening the house to keep it cool and writing (and it's a good thing that I can flex my schedule because there's no way to shower and dress and make the bus)...and I've lost the notion. I knew I'd talk about the Joy of Writing, and Refilling the Well, maybe promotion, and distractions this week, as well as doing a little promotion myself, but I, again, have lost that idea.

So I'm winging it. I didn't do my word count yesterday. Some computer problems on the laptop, and I wanted to see my friend who's out of the hospital and I got stuck in the Gay Pride Parade traffic (LOVED the cowboys and horses), but those are excuses or rationalizations.

I know I should have days off, to rest, relax, refill the well of creativity, but the pressure is awesome with this short deadline for Heart Match. I'm pretty sure I made my daily wordcount goal too small. On the other hand, I usually do it, sometimes even in an hour, so I DO keep going instead of blowing it off and feeling guilty every day and getting bogged down...

So I think I'll let you consider a few matters -- like rationalizations, goal setting, and refilling your creative well. The latter two are important. Don't make your goals too much so you fail more often than succeed. Do take time out to consider your plot and characters, or just play.

May your writing go very well today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]