On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, June 09, 2006

Changes and Creativity

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI was thinking about the opening for Protector of the Flight this morning. I originally set it in a mountain cave (and I'll probably put this first scene up on my website at some point), but then I came up with my contemporary paranormal romance that was also set in a cave (hope to resurrect that book after a while has gone by and I can look at it with less partial eyes).

Two cave books. Could possibly come out together (ha, ha, ha, won't worry about that one again).

So I changed Calli's advent into Lladrana by falling into the crystal face of a hillside on her ranch. This ADDED so much more. As soon as I changed this, I came up with the fact that she'd been able to see shadows of Lladrana in the crystal all her life. That she hadn't liked herself or her life for a long time so she didn't want to see *herself* reflected even vaguely.

Making the change added depth to the story. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, nor the most important, but the experience continues to drive home a point for me, and perhaps for you.

Don't begrudge changes you need to make for purposes other than the story. Making such changes can add another layer to your story.

May you go deeper into your story today and may it be fabulous!
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]