On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Worldbuilding -- A Different Aspect...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I'm working on Heart Match now and am going to be doing some serious thinking about worldbuilding. Yes, Heart Match is the sixth book in the Heart series, and you'd think I'd know all the rules. Not so.

I don't know the nature of time. Of how time works in this universe (or ours, for that matter). Throughout the books, I've had a "no-time food storage" kitchen appliance ;) You put food in and it remains exactly as it was the moment you put it in. Hot is hot, cold is cold, fresh and juicy is fresh and juicy, raw meat is raw meat...

Anyway, I thought that there's a stasis field in the no-times that keeps time from passing. But now I have a heroine whose psi powers deal with time. Is time like a stream where she can dip into? Or is it like an all pervasive atmosphere. Or what? I think I had notes somewhere...

So this book, time. I think the next big worldbuilding for me on Celta will be religion, but in the meantime I'll be designing a garden and maybe even figuring out a map of the city, Druida (I'm pretty sure I put a lot of things in the same place).

May your worldbuilding be as unique as you are today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to ask you about the thick blue line that runs from Druida to the channel to the inner sea. What is it? a river? a fault line?
I hope you will have fun with the maps and other World building as well as with the nature of Time. May be it is like light, both wave and pulse (I cannot remember if this is the right word though, sorry!)
Looking forward to the results.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got it: wave or particle. The scientists fought and fought and were confounded at the end!

2:28 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, reader, thank you! Since this world was created by me, by hand, then transferred to ProFantasy, the thick blue line is the Huckleberry Finn river...

Robin

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]