On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Warning about galleys/page proofs

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comI got my author copies of Sorceress of Faith yesterday, the cover is as gorgeous for real as online...anyway the first thing I did was check something I'd wanted changed in the page proofs/galleys to make sure it had been fixed. It hadn't been.

So I checked other changes made in the galleys. They were fine.

No, I'm not going to tell you what I changed because I'm hoping no one will notice. If they do, I'll address it later.

Now there were several things I should have done to make sure this change went through.

I should have let my editor know it was a very important change to me.

Secondly, now that I look at the galleys (scanned/pdf-ed and emailed), I should have realized that that particular chapter ended at the very last line on a page. That means the deleting of the two words I wanted and adding a bit more explanation (about 3 sentences) could throw off everything and the page count after that...if I didn't delete the same amount somewhere in the chapter. Which I would have done. Shoot.

There were more typos than I liked, too, but that's life. Please note that red spine should really be red spinel (a ruby like gem) don't know how that got missed, but it did, twice.

Still, I am hoping you all see fit to buy Sorceress and that you enjoy it. I like the touches of humor and hope they don't only appeal to me. ;) I particularly like the animal companion, as always. Oh, and Sinafin, the magical shape-shifting entity.

You all know my favorite book is the one just published, right? And the one I hate the most is the one I'm writing? Yes, indeed, Sorceress is a good story. I worked very hard on it.

Love to all,
May all your manuscripts be clean.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

I can't wait to read SoF. And don't sweat the typos--it's all water under the bridge now. Besides, if people even notice typos, the last person they blame is the author.

Have a Happy New Year, Robin, and thanks for a great year of blogging.

10:28 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Happy New Year Robin! I am saving my B& N gift card for SoF.

Love those Llandranians.

;)

terri

4:06 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I agree with jeri about the typos.

I just popped in to wish you a wonderul and prolific Happy New Year!

Its 2 1/2 hours away from midnight. My DH is occupied with watching the Three Stooges...what is it with guys and the Three Stooges anyway???

So, I'm blogging and decided that I didn't want the year to end without a final "Howdy" from me to you.
All the best to you, Robin!

7:27 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks all. I appreciate it. I'm about to head over to my neighbor's house, but doubt I'll stay up until midnight. New Year's used to be really impt to me, but when you're single...

HAPPY NEW YEAR *)*(*** virtual fireworks.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Happy New Year

I think new years eve is only a big deal if you like to get tipsy and kiss strangers.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]