On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Option Clause

Image hosted by Photobucket.comAn option clause is where the publisher and the author agree that the publisher gets to see, buy, and publish the next book of the author's. There are several things to work on with this clause. I think I'll only talk of one today, and a couple of others during the rest of the week -- break it down into small pieces for you. This is my reading and understanding of the contract. Do NOT rely solely upon it. Contact an agent or an attorney.

First, narrow what sort of book you will be offering to them down as much as possible. For instance, when I sold my first futuristic romance I had 2 historicals in my "drawer," (I still do). So I made sure the option clause only covered futuristic romance. The publisher might take this further, or you may -- such as "novel-length work of futuristic romance," which applies to the Heart books.

My Luna books are longer and are considered epic fantasy with romantic subplot. The romance is NOT the focus of these books, the heroine's growth is. Nor are the books set in the future. They are set on contemporary Earth and a fantasy-other-dimension world. But when I sold to Luna, I didn't have to reassure my Heart books publisher -- my agent did that for me.

So know what you're writing, know the focus of your book, and make sure you read your option paragraph in ALL your contracts, because it's one of the most important one in there.

May you follow your heart in your writing today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]