On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Losing Writing

Yes it happens. It happens if I handwrite things, it happens on the computer.

It happened last week. Mostly it happens if I'm working and I have two copies open or something and save the older version...or am working on a new doc and forget and don't save it...much gnashing of teeth. I have a couple of things for this. One is Restore 2000, which will help, I have Norton now, also a help, and I have Filehand Search, which will help me FIND stuff I know I wrote (esp. useful when working on a couple of projects at a time).

Yes, I've torn my office apart and wept and raged, and used all of the above. Luckily last week, I'd only lost a few lines -- about three sentences. Important sentences, but I knew it would take longer to try and find them than to reconstruct. That's the bottom line...will it take you longer and stop your flow longer than it will take you to write them again. Was the scene really, really so good that you couldn't improve on it?

I DID improve on the lines I lost -- so it turned out good. But, truly, this is one of the worst things about writing. It can throw me off for a long time, upset me so I obsess on getting the stuff back instead of just going on.

So SAVE. I save to hard drive and flash. I save to a gmail account. Occasionally I print out pages.

Love to all,
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

What famous author left everything he'd ever written in a case on a train and later said it was the best thing that ever happened to his career?

5:17 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I don't know, but I do know that Asimov lost his first book, and by the time he found it again, he'd already used a lot of the concepts.

Robin

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]