On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Announcement

Today is the last day at the day job. Not my choice. I haven’t told many people online, though I’ve known for over a month. I am a contract worker and knew this day would come, but I’ve been here 6 years. But it’s a big corporation and near the end of the year and cutbacks are looming for the regular staff, too.

I have been coping with fear and depression. Coping.

I’ve been dithering about what to do. I don’t usually dither (I'm a "J" in the Meyers-Briggs (sp?) profile). I would LOVE some time off to write (and when I was in deadline crunch I prayed for that and look what happened ;) ) I’m at the end of my contracts with both Berkley and Luna – so I have to work up new proposals…two for Berkley, I think, and the last 3 of the Summoning series for Luna. I must revise my paranormal romance series so it can go out again – that’s 3 books...

So if I didn’t go back to work, it would be a good time to write. Yes, money is an issue. I hadn’t planned on the well-paying dayjob disappearing so fast. I HAVE told my agency that I’m available. They looked at my resume and saw it was "ancient" so I have to do that, too. I'm pretty sure I moved it over to the new computer 2 years ago.

Of course, there’s always the lottery….

May all outer life worries vanish for you as you write today.
Love,
Robin

10 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

aww, I'm sorry.

I'm seeing a new character for you, though:

With job worries, a bad economy and a war on terrorists looming in the background (ok, and some psychic ability and lots of cool cats), the last thing [insert name here] needs is a man in her life...

I say write your little heart out while you can! A day job will come along.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Sending good thoughts and warm energies your way, Robin!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, hugs! With all your newfound free time, if you ever want to do coffee of tea, give me a jingle.

11:33 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks all. Still coping...

;)
Robin

8:17 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

We love you, Robin dear.

((((RDO)))

terri

11:33 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, thanks. Tumultuousness? I think it's deadline and family...oh, yeah, and getting laid off...

Thanks, all

Love
Robin

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How freakin' scary. Y'know, since you like to offer advice on writing and publishing, maybe you could be an editor or something along those lines. Eharlequin.com offers a critique service. Since they publish you, maybe they'd give you a job as a critiquer. I'm sure tons of people ask you to look over their stuff and give advice. May as well make a buck off of it. 'Course, that'd just drive you deeper into the obsession that is writing, but what's wrong with that? :D The link for the service is: http://www.eharlequin.com/cms/learntowrite/ltwSection.jhtml?itcType=critiqued and it's something to check out, anyway. In any case, I hope you find a new job right quick. *hugs*

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warm fuzzies & positive vibes are winging your way Robin!

J

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Best of luck, Robin. I'm sure it will all work out for the best, and I don't mean that in a pat way. Sometimes we need big upheavals to take our lives in a new, positive direction.

8:42 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Crystal, Jill and Jeri. All excellent advice.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]