On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Ouch...Life Imitating Art Imitating Life

Well, in my novella, Road of Adventure http://www.robindowens.com/images/novella_pdf.pdf I have my heroine dying (it's a Second Chance At Life Story) by falling down the stairs and hitting her head on a newel post. I got that idea when, ha ha, I fell down the stairs a couple years back (AFTER I'd decided to pay for my own health insurance after going bare for about 7 years). Anyway, I fell down the top part of the stairs (combination of just turning the lights out at night and mistaking the stairwell for the bathroom, I now burn candles in the bathroom), so I hit the landing and not the newel post. Shakes you up for sure.

I included in Road several things that had an impact upon me. One was the fall down the stairs, one was the crash of two small planes mid-air over my area (you DO NOT forget the cops calling and asking you to look for body parts -- in your trees), and one was a favorite cat having to be put to sleep. So it was a special story and fun to write, and I like/liked it.

Every book will have bits of you in it, whether it is motivation, the color of a bathrobe, the layout of your apartment. Expect it, and, of course, use anything that comes up.

Well, I was reminded of Road this am when I ran up the stairs with my hand along the rail and a sliver goudged under my little fingernail. Ouch! I think I got it all, and as you can see, it isn't slowing my babbling much, but -- Geeze (as Jake would say in Road), I use the banister all the time, where did that rough spot come from? I don't know, but I did find it and will sand it down and stain it...but meanwhile I got caught in the cylcle of Life Imitating Art Imitating Life...

May you use everthing possible today.

Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Major Ouch!!
Hope your finger feels better by now!

"check for body parts in trees????"
*shudder*

Another entry of amazing insight.
Thanks.

9:02 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you, Michele. The finger is ok but splinter under the nail is not fun.

Take care,
Robin

10:02 AM  
Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

Wow, you've got a lot of books under your belt. I'm trying to get my book, "Bienvenido a Miami" published. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]