On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

First Monday Off

Was excellent! I woke up early and worked on revising a chapter of Heart Quest. Went to the PO to pick up a registered package, then on to my mentor's (Kay Bergstrom/Cassie Miles) for help with plotting of the contemporary paranormal series. I took food and drink and we worked (and talked about her career, my career, publishing, other writers' careers) and talked for about 4 hours.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Once Kay realized I WASN'T doing a suspense (which is what she's adept at plotting), we figured out that the main problem was the hero and since I was changing him anyway, the relationship needed a better arc, and he needed a better character arc. I had the outer plot pretty down (except "Why did she hide the will? threw me, so we worked through that one and property and probate). I also had Lacey's character arc down well. I had to clarify my magic rules.

Heroes aren't often problems for me in the synopsis. Shrug. Every book is different. The rest of the day I spent typing up my notes – naturally everything we talked about (except for the series overall arc), was easily plugged into Pam McCutcheon's Writing a Fiction Synopsis worksheets, most of which I already had filled out or partially filled out.

I'm determined to get this project in the mail on or before FRIDAY! Finally. After more than a year and a half.

Yes!

Love to all,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Well, funny that you didn't have trouble with your Lacey. In my WIP, my heroine's name was Lacey and she would not cooperate with me at ALL. Would. Not. Talk. So much so, that I decided she was the wrong heroine for the story, dumped the first 3 chapters and rewrote with a new heroine-- Jamie.

Go figya.

terri

8:27 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Oh and CONGRATS on being home!!!

YAY!

Terri

8:28 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Yeah, characters who are quiet really bug me, just like people who are reserved. I just workshopped this character who I've known for a long time. Well, she is very reserved, but I learned she has a good reason for being the way she is. I'm keeping her, but now I figured out how she can grow.

And people say I make up and control the stories and characters. Sheesh. I wish!

10:07 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL. I got an email from my agent who read the proposal for my next Luna, Knight Protector, and loved it. Thing is, all books are different. Of the three, Sorceress of Faith was the most difficult to set up. I literally have about 10 revisions, some very different versions, of the first three chapters...

Robin

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]