On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, August 04, 2005

When in Doubt, Take it Out

If there's a line or paragraph that makes more than one of your critique buddies go "huh?" the easiest fix is to take it out. As I've said before, you don't want anything to stop your reader. If you look at the copy edits page, there was a "please clarify." Again, the easiest fix is to strike the sentence, and unless it is close to my heart, I'll do that -- otherwise I'll revise, like "Please reword."

Now, on the "please reword" I don't know if she meant it was awkward or what. I think I did "her throat clogged with fear" and got a please reword which I changed to the standard "her chest tightened." One of the things I ALWAYS stet (keep the same) is when I get a rewording that includes "felt"..."she felt..." That is telling, not showing and I try to show as much as possible.

Of course when working on the copy edits, some things are easier just to let slide by...or delete. Sad but true for me at this time in my life. I have a lot of other writing I should be doing.

Love to all,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

That sounds like a sound principal to follow. Why fight about it if it's not something that you feel strongly about?

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated congratulations on your Prism award! (I don't read blogs on-line regularly, but still--congratulations!) --Rose

11:37 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

someone once told me that there will be ten major (and countless minor) arguments over the content in a book and the author will win perhaps two, so save it for something important!

1:55 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Intersting note, sex, I hadn't thought of that before. I know for Sorceress I had to change the name of my heroine -- had no chance of winning that one. This time, however, I've been using my STET more often...

Robin

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]