On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A Page of Copy Edits

Here's one so you can see what it looks like. My editor's comments are in circles in the margins, her (or the copy editor's) corrections are thin and in pencil. The punctuation, etc. is also in pencil (but I have a copy of the copy edits, slightly minimized -- think they don't trust us authors?), my stuff is bolder since I use a blue rollerball pen and print my corrections. Chapters 1-4 are a big mess since I really changed them....I got about 160 pages done (some I kept out to think about wording, work on research) and worked til midnight last night.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Love to all, Robin

9 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Wow Robin! Thanks for posting this. I have never had the opportunity to see this sorta stuff before.

Do you usually agree with their suggestions? Are they only "suggestions?" or are they really STRONG suggestions?

Wondering,

moon

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! Thanks so much for sharing this!

3:35 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Glad this was helpful. I am barely scanner proficient so it always takes a bit more time to do this sort of thing.

I look at everything, if I don't care, I'll follow what they say. If I think they have a point, I'll definitely change. If I feel strongly about something I WON'T change it (we went back and forth a bit about the "drunkeness" in Guardian of Honor)

Actually, my "biggest" rewrite happened on the eharlequin serial. My editor (who I just met at RWA) was unappy with the sexual tension and how soon the couple jumped into bed (hey, they were teenagers...). So I REALLY rewrote that one. So far I haven't had anything else major -- at least not from my editors. From critique buddies, yes....

Love to all,
Robin

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danica shared a link to your blog. Thanks for sharing the copyedits! I've always wondered what they look like. :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

It was good to see this. I guess I'm surprised at how much there is. Do you get pages that don't have anything too? Kinda looks just like school all over again.

But I always loved the editing stage of writing. of course, I love the whole thing. weird that way, I guess...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Val said...

I also followed the link over from Danica's. It was really useful to see this. Thanks for sharing.

:-)
val

10:29 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Occasionally there are pages without anything -- but not usually. My punctuation doesn't seem to match anyone elses, so there is usually a comma or semi-colon or they put "m" around my dashes to show it's an m dash. And I wanted something to show you, but now that I think of it, this edit is messy. Sigh. I'm about 1/2 done. I used "nasty" about a zillion times, followed by "fascinating" and "incredible."

Robin

8:32 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Heh. My characters are always LOOKING at something; there are all these references to staring, gazing, they meet each other's eyes, they lift eyebrows, exchange glances, they even WON'T look at something... and a little of that goes a long way, that's for sure!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks so much for showing this. I am looking forward to the day when my wp and I can do this. Yes, warped, but it will mean we are on the road to being published!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]