On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Conference 3

For reasons unknown to me, this conference isn't emotionally satisfying and an incredible drain. I expect it to be a big drain of energy, but it's been even more so I haven't done as much. Maybe it's because my aunt Sylvia hurt her hip and had to go home and I feel like I need to be company to my Mom -- not really free to do what I want -- and Mom wouldn't like that I feel that way, but so it is.

Saw many of the Blogsphere people yesterday and talked. The big thing was the Berkley signing (free books!) I picked up some I wanted and talked to people who knew my work as well as those just swooping down for free books. We were arranged alphabetically by first name (finally figured that one out) so I sat, as always, next to Rebecca York/Ruth Glick.

Then there were the publishers' parties. I went to Berkley and spoke with my editor and made sure I was seen -- I don't "work" a room, but I can force myself to be more charming. When it got too hot and suffocating, I went with Christine Feehan and her daughters up to her suite and talked about business and the craziness of writing for a while, then back down to Berkley. Then I went to the Harlequin party where I danced some but had anticipated dancing all night. Maybe it wasn't enough "strokes" to my ego -- people I thought would remember me, didn't -- and is that an unrealistic expectation and big whine! So I left and came back and had a bite to eat and read a little and went to bed. Huh. And as long as I'm whining, I feel fat, too!

Today, 2 editor appts., an author's focus group, and the RITA dinner/ceremony tonight. Maybe I'll look in on the seminars. Mom's gone for her early am walk and I want to go back to bed, but will probably read. I don't think I need to be anywhere for about 2 hours.

Love to all, and sorry if this one was a downer -- this is a professional conference and obligation, and in that, part of a writer's life -- networking. I can't stress how important that is, but it sure is easier for me online than in person -- or maybe it's just that yesterday I spent in mobs as opposed to small groups, where I feel more at ease -- I think that's it. I haven't had enough small group time talking about business and writing -- so now I know what will make me feel better. Still think I'll go back to bed.

Robin

7 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I imagine those things can be very trying, expecially for us loner writer types. I'm plenty social but not enough to try to sell myself. Hope you have a nice evening though.

2:40 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Sex. The dinner was tolerable, with good company of the West Houston RWA chapter and Kerrilyn Sparks, the ceremony was VERY long, but the desert bar had goat's cheese and I ended up with real friends, so that's all to the good.

Robin

11:53 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Well, Robin, you could have been in Disney World with my family and half of the country of Brazil. LOL!

Hot? Humid? Crowds of sweaty humans (atleast I think some of them were human)searching out air conditioning like frost-seeking missiles.

I read two books, spoke with many lovely Brits who were all sweating more than I, and managed to wipe out the hotels supply of moleskin for the blistered tootsies.

Still, I had a good time overall. But it is not relaxing. Not at all.

Terri

12:29 PM  
Blogger Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...

oh - The conference sounds so fun. I hope I can attend some day. Also - the author cruise sounds like a lot of fun.

Tammie
http://www.nightowlromance.com

5:18 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Oh Wow, you met Karrilyn Sparks?? I just read her book and before she went to the conference I emailed her how much I LOVED her book. She was so sweet. She answered the same day. NOt used to that, mostly because authors are just so busy!!
How was she in person, if its OK to ask? I was just wondering if some of her personality is in her books. Sometimes that happens, yes?
Congrats on your award!
I heard that some authors of the Blogosphere had a wild time. If I were to ever go, I'd probably relate closer to your experience. Drinking isn't a draw for me. Desserts, oh yea.
Glad you are back safe and sound. And I wish I was a fly on the wall when you were with Christine Feehan. She's another author I enjoy. You sure were with esteemed company.
Does a conference usually have you coming back bubbling with ideas?
Just curious about that too.

5:52 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Sometimes I can be bubbling with ideas, especially when I was first attending. Now I'm usually just tired and focused on what I must do next.

Of course I didn't listen to any inspirational speechs this time -- but I ordered the CD, so I can do that later.

Robin

6:34 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Ah!
Thanks for answering.
I love your insights on your blog BTW-
You are incredibly knowledgeable and inspiring.
Logical too.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]