On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Word Count

There are probably pages and pages on writer's sites about Word Count. In NY publishing, the general rule is 25 lines per page in a non-proportional 12 pt font like Courier or New Courier, double spaced. That gives an approximate word count of 250 words per page, which lets an editor "eyeball" how long a book will be, how much paper it will take to print, etc.

Most publishers have set word counts for their stories. My Heart books consistently run over word count (100,000) and therefore the print is smaller. My Luna books are falling right in the middle of the allowed word count (100,000 to 135,000, I believe).

When I write, I tend to pay too much attention to word count and especially pages -- so I type in Times New Roman, single spaced. I still check my word count far too often, but it isn't AS bad.

For my next Heart book, I need to be doing a daily word count of 750 words, or approximately 3 pages, which isn't too difficult for me, even after a long day at the job. Falling behind can be the pits, though.

In any event, I made 2512 words today! That's slightly more than 10 pages, but I think when I actually transfer it to Courier New, it will be more.

TRY NOT to measure yourself against others. I know there are people out there who can write double or triple the amount I do in a day. I know that among my friends, I seem to be able to write more in a day. Make your own reasonable goals and fulfil them. I really wanted 1500 words for today, but the scene flowed (after a few stops and starts and there's a big hole in the "describe T'Saille's Residence" paragraph).

Good witing to you! Tomorrow I have an "author do" appearance thing, so I'll probably talk about that.

Love to all, Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. I'm glad you got a lot done even after I babbled at you so long at brunch.

-M. Mishalak

1:31 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Matthew, I LIKED hearing your universe. If I didn't I'da cut ya off...and thanks for showing me a wonderful place to write WHEN I quit the day job!

Love,
Robin

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The advice to not compare yourself to others is on the nose. Thanks for the reminder! Good luck with your appearance :D

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]