On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Repetition/Character Sketches/Worldbuilding


There are a several topics I could ramble about today because I'm thinking about them HARD. One is repetition -- currently I have caves on the mind, and they are showing up in my books. Sorceress of Faith has a cave sequence, my contemporary paranormal centers around a cave, and in Knight Protector I had my heroine "falling" into Lladrana through a cave wall. THAT has to be changed, so that's probably what I'll be working on tonight since the "teaser chapter" is due to Luna by the end of the month. So repetition happens to writers and you should be aware of it, even if you don't want to take the time to understand what is going on in your own mind to spur this. When I started writing seriously, it was fire, now it's caves...shrug.

Other things that I must work on soon are Character Sketches (of which I have many forms) and Worldbuilding. I'm throwing them together because my Character Sketch has to do with one of my main magical entities and it's enemy (or vice versa), so I must think about it and in doing so, I WILL be worldbuilding.

I prefer to have these things unfold as I write along, but when selling on proposal they must be figured out up front.

That's all for tonight.

Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some good points to keep in mind when working on my wips :)

6:42 AM  
Blogger Athene said...

Caves are cool! I do a lot of caving (spelunking) so when I read books with caves involved I get really excited. I'm a fan by the way, keep up the good work!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]