On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, May 29, 2005

No, no, no! Not the Office! I'd rather die, first!!

Have you ever walked into your home writing space and not been able to face it? This happens. It happened yesterday to me. Here are tips that work for me (and are included in my Survive to Write, Write to Survive seminar).

Check your environment

Are the flat surfaces of your desk too messy? Too clean?

What about the lighting? Too dim, too bright, too direct? When I turn out my overhead light and my little spotlights on, it clues my subconscious that it's time to write.

What about your set up? Time to move the monitor/computer/keyboard?

Most of all, what about the color of your computer screen? I work at a day job on a computer all day. Then I write at home. I MAKE SURE my screen at my paralegal job is NOT the same color as the one at home. If you work at home, how long has it been since you changed the color of your screen? I discovered this one when I realized I could not face the pale yellow screen one more evening. So now I have different colors saved, when I need a change. Yesterday I couldn't take "creamy pink" anymore. It is now "Light Blue 2."

Do you associate your computer with nasty things, like paying bills, corresponding with evil aunt Ermentrude? Doing your taxes. I don't do my taxes or my finances on my computer. Maybe someday I'll be able to have one hooked up to the net just to do this, or promo, but right now I have a mongo desktop (that gaming machine) and a nice laptop. Since I've never really gotten the hang of wireless connection on my laptop and it has NO GAMES (neither of mine do) the laptop is for writing -- and designing castles, and maps.....writing related stuff.

So take a look at your environment today -- you have a couple of days to change it around.

Love to all,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Is that the reason I dread sitting down to write sometimes? Actually...nah.

This is what happens to me. I write a really good chapter. I send it off to my CP's then edit after I get their feedback. This skyrockets my good chapter into REALLY good (at least IMO) and then bam! Nothing.

It's like my muse says you can't do better than that. No more writing for a week. I have no idea why I seem to write this way. But it happens. It's like I want to stay in that "happy place" and not move onto the next chapter which is going back to the blank page and the agony that is writing.

UGH!

Do you think screen colors would help, Robin?

8:19 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I think you should consider writing in scenes other than chapters, or write more than a chapter, give yourself an opeining line or paragraph for the next, and send your CBs only the chapter.

My take,
Robin

8:32 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Actually, I find that if I can manage to get the first paragraph of the next scene or chapter down, it goes smoother. I get less anxious. I really hate that blank page staring at me.

My next book I am going to try writing out of order and see how that works. I am still learning my own writing processes, though I know that I am a "listener" and music (unless its Mozart) is out while writing.

Personally, I think my tushie enjoys resting on its laurels.

LOL!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]