On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Fonts

Something easy for heading back to work -- and the sun is up and shining, unlike the last two days, humph! -- Fonts.

Like many writers, since I stick with Courier New for my pages, I play with other fonts for my header. Header = name, left corner, title right corner, then page number top right corner. For the Celta books, I use American Uncial, always have since I first submitted. For my Summoning books I use Bridgenorth. These are great for reminding me of the "mood" of the book, but there can be drawbacks -- first, if you email to others who don't have the fonts on the machine, they turn out funny-looking as their machine will substitute something else, like Arial. Next, they can take up space on your document and my late never-mourned Brother printer had small buffer memory so it had problems handling them. They take up space on your machine, too.

Advice. If you aren't published yet, don't use fancy fonts, ESPECIALLY in the body of the ms.

Time to get ready for the day job -- no, I didn't get all the things done I wanted, and I didn't work at my writing at all yesterday. I think I'm letting my subconscious work -- which is true, but a rationalization none the less.

Oh, BTW, I am one of the guest authors at 7 pm. Eastern Time at a chat at Coffee Time Romance tonight! http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/x7chatdirectory/index.php

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stick with Courier New 12. Keeps it nice and simple for me.

11:33 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Excellent!

5:19 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Shoot! I missed the chat!

Softball game for DD#1.

Next time.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]