On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What I Want As A Reader In the First Pages

What I Want As A Reader In the First Pages: 1) Hook me baby! and, yes, if at all possible in the first line. "Today you will meet your HeartMate." DON'T tell me about the weather. Don't tell me that the day is going to be awesome. 2) I want SETTING Denver, Colorado I recently read a book set in the mountains. I'm from Colorado, when you say mountains, I think of ours. Turned out that it was the Canadian Rockies (somewhere in chapter 2?) and, actually, by the end of the book I still didn't know exactly what province in Canada, since I didn't recognize (and didn't look up) the place names. 3) Re: Group Scenes/Dialogue...give me a clue who the protagonist is, and, again setting...I started a book with someone on her cell...no setting was provided so for some reason I thought she was in a limo, turns out she was at a bus stop. 4) I don't mind starting with a single person on stage as long as there isn't a full chapter of backstory.

And, yes, I have the writer pickiness.

May you enjoy all the worlds you visit today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, when I pick up a book by someone I haven't read before I wast to be grabbed. My favorite opening line is: "Elsabeth couldn't find her thumnb." I mean how can you not wabt to read a book wiht that line. And I loved the book that opened with that line. Yours are always good too.

Cindy

12:26 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you for your nice words...and I try hard to set that hook, and my critique group hears it, too. "Where's the hook?"

"The last camel died at noon," is great, too -- book by the same name.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]